Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Nothing New

     There is nothing new going on today on Facebook other than the sad news that Scarlett Johansson got knocked up by some French dude who's name I didn't even bother to remember. I thought I was hearing thunder last night, but it was probably the collective boners of every free speaking adult male in the world as they came crashing down after hearing the news.
     I have been spending most of my time lately remixing and remastering music that we (Jake and the Stiffs) recorded back in the the 90's. I was lucky enough to find someone a few years back that still had access to a working Ampex 456 machine. According to him, he was the only person between here and Indianapolis that had one. He was able to pull each individual track off of the reels and put them into WAV files for me. The whole lot filled up 4 or 5 burnable DVDs, almost 5 gigs of music. I feel very fortunate to be able to go back and listen to songs that I we did 20 + years ago, and to be able to reformat them and put them out in the event that anyone should want to hear it too. Check it out here. Or on the links at the top of the page.
     I have been able to put 3 digital releases together so far with the music I now have available and will be able to put out 2 more from these sessions. This material covers the years spanning 1990-1997 roughly, and was recorded at Target Studios in Newark, DE. Target was awesome, it was run by the Moss brothers and was always a fun place to go to. It was off the beaten path a little and the studio was, I believe, a converted slaughterhouse that sat at the back of the old farm. At the time we were recording there it was known as the "Art Farm". Mr. Moss had some really cool, giant, metal art sculptures on the property.
     I have recently been in touch with Eric Teather from the old "Manic Music" studios in Newark, De, and he told me that he just found a 90 minute ADAT of ours but has no idea how many songs are on it. We started recording there around 1997 and kept recording through about 2002 or so. I am hoping that there are several songs on there and enough material to complete the entire Jake and the Stiffs collection of works.
     Anyway, the whole point of this ramble was to talk about what I was doing today. I talked to George this morning via email about the artwork for the next release on the slate, "LUB 84".  It's a 16 song release that has a lot of tunes on there that many people have no doubt ever heard before. This is the "tape" we were working on when Zach left for Vegas, and right before the time when Vince came in. Looking forward to getting it out there and heard. I will discuss the album in more detail at a later time.

Right on,
FTW,
-Randy


                                               http://www.cdbaby.com/jakethestiffs2




   

No comments:

Post a Comment